Most companies have a general idea of their target audiences. For example, the target audience of a financial investment institution could be people who have $150K+ in assets and are employed in Fortune 500 corporations. How do they know this? Their best clients today meet that profile.
However, this approach can be limiting. Why? The reality is that many companies unconsciously focus on their current users. However, they miss out on understanding the services or “jobs” they are really providing and the emotional triggers that help them stand out and build relationships with the ongoing needs of clients or new clients.
To get a stronger handle on target audiences, companies should take the time to better understand the different groups of people who use their products by creating more descriptive segments.”
To get a stronger handle on target audiences, companies should take the time to better understand the different groups of people who use their products by creating more descriptive segments. Then they need to go deeper with their understanding of these segments by answering critical questions:
- What is the purpose of the service or product the company needs to offer or develop (i.e. jobs-to-be-done)
- What delights or frustrates people while purchasing and using their services or products (pain points, compensating behaviors, etc.)
- How do people want to engage with the company (emotional triggers, personality profiles that drive media, messaging and shopping preferences, etc.)
- What’s the difference in behaviors, attitudes and expectations between users and non-users
It’s our experience that there are key approaches that will bring to life target audiences in more dynamic and meaningful ways. These include:
- Holistic customer journeys
- Multi-level segmentation studies
- Immersive ethnographies
- Jobs-To-Be Done frameworks
- Consumer/ Customer co-creation workshops
- Team ideation workshops
So instead of a target audience that is defined by having $150K+ in assets and working in a large corporation, a marketing team will understand more deeply why a product is selected and can empathize with their audience in ways that build connections and inspire breakthrough innovation.
Want to learn more about developing more dynamic and holistic understanding of your target audiences?