A global manufacturer sought a deep understanding of car owners who take a do-it-yourself (DIY) approach to car care. Insights would guide the brand’s marketing, sales and retailer strategies around the world.
The global manufacturer had purchased a portfolio of brands that needed to be folded into their current portfolio. The brand team needed to understand how best to align marketing, sales and retailer strategies to meet the requirements of the global marketplace.
Radius designed an in-depth assessment of decision makers for car care products in the US, Mexico, UK, and Australia with the goals of:
- Establishing foundational category insights and define user behaviors, needs, motivations and attitudes
- Uncovering how shoppers make purchase decisions
- Identifying key touchpoints that drive growth
- Developing a roadmap to inform the global portfolio strategy
The brand team needed to understand how best to align marketing, sales and retailer strategies to meet the requirements of the global marketplace.”
Mixed Methodology Approach
A mix of quantitative and qualitative approaches were used to provide deeper context into the consumers and more dimension to the data.
Focus groups and shopalongs helped immerse the brand team with consumers and build knowledge. This phase consisted of:
- In-depth exploration with target consumers to unpack how they engage with the category and how they make purchase decisions
- “Pre-work” brought into the focus groups to foster richer discussion about products, routines, experiences with shopping and purchasing decisions
- Shopalongs provided observation and continue learning on how decisions are made in-store and on-shelf
A comprehensive survey was designed to quantify the knowledge across a range of topics related to customer needs and the purchase journey. The survey included:
- Consideration factors and drivers for products across the category
- Influencers that impact browsing and buying decisions
- In-Store/Online experiences including details related to purchasing of products
- Experiences with past purchases that impact future decisions
- Global perspective on how to define and engage with the target audience
The result was clear recommendations on how to better meet the needs of DIY car care shoppers and guidance on which segments to target, what thought leadership ideas to pursue with retailers, and what strategies to focus on for marketing.”
The result was clear recommendations on how to better meet the needs of DIY car care shoppers and guidance on which segments to target, what thought leadership ideas to pursue with retailers, and what strategies to focus on for marketing. Specifically, this global brand was able to:
- Create an internal shopper strategy plan that integrated their new acquisition brands into their current portfolio
- Align and focus their global teams on critical shopper target audiences, enabling them to better meet needs and address the functional and emotional drivers
- Enable strategic conversations with Retailer partners to rethink the aisles to better meet shoppers needs
- Inform packaging redesign to build more loyalty for their brands and drive competitive differentiation
Want to learn about designing a global customer journey for your brand?